This article, written with the unique and humorous style of dog trainer Adam G. Katz, gives you some clues as to what you can do if your dog shows a taste for his own feces.
Lewd, crude article about dogs who eat their own feces
(Or: Jerry Springer’s Secret Life As A Dog Training Author)
I have a cousin named Leonard who was in the Army during Vietnam.
He and his fellow soldiers would often be in the jungle for several days at a time. The Army would supply them with MRE’s. (Meals Ready To Eat.) These are kind of like T.V. dinners … packed in foil bags. After the novelty of eating out of a foil bag wears off, you come to realize that MRE’s are some of the most bland-tasting food you will ever eat.
Leonard once told me that he and his buddies would pack small bottles of Tobasco sauce in their bags. That Tobasco sauce became a real life-saver…. in the culinary department, that is … as dousing enough Tobasco sauce on any meal would make it edible.
I always think about Leonard whenever somebody tells me that their dog eats it’s feces and they’ve already tried seasoning it with Tobasco sauce.
Some con-man came up with this as a remedy for a dog’s fecal appetite, but it always seemed like a pretty good way to make it more appetizing for the dog, if you ask me.
So what should you do if your dog or puppy has this nasty habit? Here’s a couple of things you can try. My clients have had success with all of these:
- Keep his area clean. Don’t let him be in an area where he has access to feces.
- Correct your dog with a collar and leash if he tries to eat feces.
- Add pineapple juice to his meals.
- Add “Accent” meat flavor-enhancer to his meals. (Apparently, this gives the feces an odd odor that repels dogs … as if the odor of feces wasn’t bad enough by itself???)
- Pick up your dog’s waste immediately after he eliminates.
Adam G. Katz warns : Do Not Attempt To Train Your Dog, Or Even Think About Hiring A Dog Trainer Until You Read this Dog Trainer Web Page!